Monday, December 19, 2005

i'm a sucker

I've been at my new job now for over 2 months and I've still got all my health insurance and 401k paperwork sitting on my dining room table. In my defense I am waiting for my rollover check to arrive so that I can send everything in at once. In my stupidity, I am living sans health insurance.

Last night I was sitting on my red couch reading Will in the World, an interesting biography of Shakespeare. I started to feel a little itchiness and scratchiness in my right eye. I took out my contacts and went to bed. I awoke this morning to a crusty, swollen eye.

I recognize the symptoms as conjunctivitis. I wonder how I contracted this sickness as I haven't left the house in the past two days but to go to the grocery store and the hair dresser. I wonder if the itis can be caused by stress or anticipation of a vacation. The only other time I can remember getting the Pink Eye since childhood was last summer when I conveniently contracted it just days before I left for Bonnarroo. I'm going home in 2 days to see my friends and family, to tell all about our new life out here in the desert, to give and receive hugs and kisses, to laugh with my girlfriends. How the hell am I supposed to do this with the itis?!

I've concluded that I am obliged to dish out the $100 it costs to see the eye doctor here without insurance. He will surely glob some antibacterial goo into my eye and hopefully this nastiness will go away promptly. I so don't have time for this!

No comments: