Monday, February 06, 2006

FBR at the TPC

I guess it's only fitting that since I'm now a resident of Snottsdale, I should start following golf. Z got us tickets to the annual FBR open held at the TPC Golf Club right up the road. I guess the event was pretty high profile in the gold world considering there were over 160,000 attendees.

Normally, when I've been part of a crowd of this size I've been listening to music, wearing homemade clothes and testing the limits of sobriety or lack thereof. The FBR yeilded one of out three. There's nothing like sipping Miller Light before noon on the green.



It was interesting to listen to some of the conversations going on around us. Trophy wives complaining about how impossible it is to get good help (seriously, I heard this). It must be hard when you're just too busy getting your hair frosted or your lips injected to cook dinner for your family. The attire was intersting though not quite as exciting as it could have been. I was fully expecting to see plaid knickers and hats with pom-poms on top.

The highlight of the experience was watching Phil Mickelson at Hole 16. I guess Hole 16 is one of more well known spots on the course. It's a short one with possibilities for holes in one. Apparently on year, maybe last, Tiger Woods shot a hole in one and the fans went crazy tossing their beer cups on the green. The hole is now surrounded with double decker boxes keeping the fans at a safe distance. I have to say I was impressed with the level of booing, jeering, and chanting. I didn' think the audience had it in them but they certainly had a few things to say to the poor souls who overshot or undershot the hole.



All in all it was a good experience. It was fun to see such magnificent talent on the course. I can't image the skill it takes to get that tiny ball into the tiny hold so far away from the starting point. It was also a good reality check about how the other half lives. I can say with confidence and assurance that I love my life. It may not be grande, full of wealth or status, but it's true and honest and mine.



Don't I live in a beautiful place? Damn, I'm one lucky biach.

No comments: