Monday, September 11, 2006

intent

I started out writing a big long post about my own stupid 9/11 story complete with rants and raves about American priorities and the lack of support and rebuilding for Katrina victims. I then realized that anything I have to say on these subjects is trivial unless I propose or am actively involved in a solution.

Many things these days seem trivial to me. I think I've become jaded and fed-up with talk. I can't deal with too much jibber-jabbering right now that isn't backed-up with some kind of action plan. This weekend, I listened to a friend go on and on and on about how life has thrown the shit stick in his direction. It was all woe is me and life's so unfair and I'm never going to get ahead. It was all I could do to keep my calm and not straight-up tell this person to stop wallowing in circumstantial self-pity and just DO SOMETHING already!

Perhaps, this is all stemming from changes I'm instigating in my own life. I don't want to hear any longer about hopes and dreams and aspirations. I want to hear about plans and action and means for achieving whatever idealistic ends float your boat. I know that all good things take time and that good ideas need to be fleshed-out into achievable goals. But, at some point we have to grow up. Once we understand and figure out what it is that needs to be done to help a neighbor, to find our calling, to live our dreams don't we owe it to ourselves to try?

2 comments:

Rob said...

YES.

And thanks for directly telling me as much.

Randa said...

That was just what I needed to read this morning. I find I am not writing much, or talking much lately, because I'm tired of hearing myself blather. If I feel I have something to add, I add it. Otherwise, I will be still, and contemplate. Improvement, in whatever capacity, is the goal -- not standing still, and letting everyone know it.