Friday, February 22, 2008

This would be funny if it wasn't true.

I was sitting in the Santa Barbara airport last Wednesday afternoon having a beer and waiting for my flight. A guy wearing a black leather jacket with black painted fingernails and a shaved head came up the stairs to the restaurant and walked face first into the 'Please Seat Yourself' sign. The sign was your typical gold and brown post, reversible to note whether you should wait for a hostess or not. It didn't seem particularly dangerous to me, but what do I know. This guy was even further embarrassed when an elderly lady standing nearby asked him if he was alright. He shushed her off and went to his seat.

The man who ran into the sign certainly was of the opinion that this sign was unsafe and a violent affront to unsuspecting customers. I thought nothing of this incident until a few minutes later when baldy started yelling at the restaurant manager, telling him to file a report and xerox a copy. Minutes later, he was in the back taking a picture of the violent sign with his iphone.

I just felt so bad for that restaurant manager. I mean, here he is, working in an airport bar and some litigious asshole is causing a scene because he didn't look where he was walking. It astounds me sometimes that there are people in this world with such soft egos that they need to make other people miserable to make up for their own lack of self-esteem. It's very pathetic and also a little funny.

No comments: