Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's Day Bitches

This morning on NPR I heard a woman, I can't remember her name unfortunately, talking about women and money. She said that over half of women over 50 do not have adequate savings for their retirement. She also said that many, many women rely on their husbands to provide for them in old age.

I think the most poignant thing she talked about though was the importance of money, sex, and communication in a relationship. You have to be able to talk about money and how you want to use in within your relationship. Discussion of your mutual goals and expectations regarding finances is essential. The same goes for sex. Without communicating about these two very important components of a relationship, your chances of a happy life together are slim.

I'm so thankful that I'm learning this lesson now when I'm 27 rather than when I'm 50 years old divorced and broke. Not that I don't think I could handle that possibility, but I'd like to try and avoid it if possible.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: