Monday, November 20, 2006

Suckas

Much to the dismay of many of my friends and family, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Shawn Carter, aka Jay-Z. I think The Blueprint is one of the best hip hop albums ever. 'Girls, Girls, Girls' will get me dancing and singing even when I'm in the worst of moods. And, back in college, I regularly answered to 'Brita-what's your mothafuckin name'. Jigga what?

I thought The Black Album was by far his most inspired and well-produced album and I was shocked to hear that he was retiring back in November of 2003. Hovito went out with a bang and a sold-out tour and soon after stepped-in as the President of Def Jam records.

I have to say that I feel a little betrayed with Jay's comeback after only a couple of years in quasi-retirement. What was all the fuss about? It's just not right to trick the American public into buying records and attending concerts under the guise that it will be 'the last time ever'.

Back in September, Jay was quoted as saying "When people want something bad enough, it happens. And they want it bad (laughs). I'm trying to hold out, but I don't know how long I can" (Billboard.com). I think this is absolute hooey! I believe this 'comeback' was in Jay's plan from the beginning and if "Show Me What You Got" is any indication of the what the new album has in store, I ain't buying it.

So, while I applaud his efforts with this to raise awareness of the World Water Crisis and as I much as I want to support Beyoncjay enterprises, I just can't get behind this comeback.

No comments: