Friday, March 04, 2005

on my way

to where i'm going...

So, I definitely do not want to be doing the job I'm doing for the rest of my life. It's a good solid job, I have a sunny and bright office space, and I work with really great people. My job itself is on the dry side though and I know I can do more. Specifically, I want to have my own goat farm and possibly bed & breakfast. This is a big goal and I'm trying to figure out how I can make it happen. In the last week I've taken two major steps toward achieving this goal.

Step One:
Visit actual goat farm/B&B! This was awesome! The place is very small--they only have 3 goats, 2 rooms, and a few hostel-type rooms. But, the couple that owns it is great. I got a lot of practical advice, quite a few warnings, issues to consider, and the like. I also got some great recommendations for other larger farms to visit.

Step Two:
Sign up for business class. If I am going to run my own farm/B&B, I have to be a good business woman. Yes, I want to do this for the joy of the experience and for the people, but I also need to make money. I found this great business association for women in my town that offers an introductory course for business owners. They cover the basics of accounting, legal, taxes, etc. I think this help me get started on my business plan and figuring out a way to finance my venture (as my tiny little salary does not afford me quite enough start-up money to play around with).

I really need for this dream to come true. I need to be connected to the earth, connected to animals, and in control of my own career. I know that when you're a farmer, you relinquish most of your control to nature. But, I have to say I have a hell of a lot more faith in nature than I do in Corporate America.

No comments: