Friday, June 24, 2005

nameless truth

The nameless truth, the essential ethic, God. Today I'm thinking about spirituality and what part it plays in my life. I'm not a regular churchgoer, in fact, my list of issues with the Christian church is longer than my grocery list. However, I do believe in a higher creative power, God--if you will. I read an article today from a friend about the nameless truth (ghanna). This article really got me thinking (and not about naming the nameless truth, which they've done).

The article gives an analogy that the nameless truth is like water. Water appears on earth in many different forms--sea water, lake water, drinking water, sewage, etc. Each of these forms appears to be very different, each has components that the others do not. However, the core each of the different forms of water is the same H2O. When distilled, we get the same result from each type of water. Religion functions on earth in much the same way. There are numerous different forms--Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. The article proposed that at the core of all religions is the same nameless truth.

The nameless truth is pure God. It's not male or female. It's not a rule maker. It's not a judgement. It's the creative force that set this universe in motion. It's everything and nothing, finite and infinite. It's the energy that's been transferred over eons from stars to clouds to bugs. It's what makes our planet rotate. It's what makes tomatoes grow and flowers die.

This I can relate to, imagine, and understand.

Where, though, do we as human beings fit in? We are sentient, we are emotional, we are complex. Where in the nameless truth do my feelings of gratitude, acceptance, and love fit in? If I live my life according to natural principles of peace, universal ethics, and humility does it matter? Can I tap into the nameless truth myself by harnessing positive, conscious energy?

Other than the premise that God exists and controls the fate of the universe, most religions propose general guidelines for living a worthy life. Though shalt not steal, though shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife. Where do these fit in? If I abide by these moral laws, will I be closer to God? Will I attain a better understanding of this universe and the creative energy that sustains it? For me, the goal ain't about heaven. I'm not walking this earth in hopes of living eternally in the clouds. So, where does it leave me. Reincarnate until I get closer to the answer? Meditate until I reach nirvana? Or die and become compost?

None of these questions are going to be answered today. They might not be answered in this lifetime of mine. Some might even say that the answer to these essential questions is different for each person. I tend to disagree with the relative point of view; the truth is the truth. However, we all get to the truth through different means. What's your truth?

1 comment:

Leah said...

interesting thoughts on this subject. i've never looked at "god" in that way, as a creative force that is everywhere. i think if this nameless truth is everywhere it is at the core of these pure emotions you were speaking of. not that i'm sure i believe in anything exterior to me. i think that i create my life and i am only where i am now because of billions of little choices i have made and others have made for me (like my parents).
i was raised catholic, and would absolutely love to believe in a god, or a nameless truth. but i don't. what i do believe in is humanity and free will and evolution and that every living fibre of every living thing on this earth and beyond are connected and made of the same things and so can experience harmony and community. those feelings are what i imagine godliness feels like or i guess truthfulness.
i don't think i've answered any of your questions, and nor have i answered many of mine.
free will and harmony, baby.