Sunday, September 09, 2007

I am an Orphan Girl

Well, not really. I have parents, and lucky for you, this post isn't about them.

This post is about the band Crooked Still. I've been listening to them for ages now and I've never had the opportunity to see them live. I just love them though. They take a lot of the traditional American folk and bluegrass songs and totally infuse them with a brand new sound, unique to them.

Unlike a lot of other "newgrass" bands, their songs move so gracefully. A lot of it has to do with the fact that they're entirely unplugged; no electric instruments and no drums. This doesn't slow them down though, Gregory Liszt on banjo keeps the songs rolling along with a beat you can't help but bob your head to and Rushad Eggleston on the cello provides this amazing resonant dimension. Of course, the music would be naught without Aoife O'Donovan's smooth and sweet vocals. I just love this band and so I think you should check them out.

If you already know about and love Crooked Still make sure you check out all the bands they're affiliated with like The Wayfaring Strangers, Sometymes Why and The Mammals.

1 comment:

amy said...

I love me some crooked still, but haven't heard anything from the other bands you mentioned. I'm gonna check em out - thanks for the tip!